A couple of days ago I had a thought going “While testing, I’m not just testing the software under test. What else am I testing?”
It quickly became clear to me that it’s not only things within the box but also thoughts and ideas that we test. So I started the following list, the reason behind it being that if I’m aware of something I can focus on it and test it. I may think of additional heuristics that may help me test this particular part and find risks, bugs, issues and information.
What do we test?
- The application
- The operating system, anti-virus and other unrelated software running in the background
- (Test) environments and infrastructure
- Ourselves, our
- Models, thoughts and ideas
- Assumptions (thanks to Thanh Huynh)
- Needs – Testers vs Customers vs Business (thanks to Dan Billing)
- Our processes
- Our document structure, content and formatting
- Our peers, test partner or debrief partner
- Relationships with
- Software and hardware
- Project and non-project colleagues
If you can think of anything else, please add a comment and I’ll add it to the list!